So, the PRINCE2 method offers a structured approach to project management.
“Structured” implies “repeatable”.
That in itself offers adepts of PRINCE2 a big advantage.
Instead of reinventing the wheel for each project, an organisation´s project management method needs to be set up only once. Project managers will just apply it.
Please note that at least considering the need for tailoring will remain mandatory. Tailoring is one of seven PRINCE2 principles that must be observed.
The PRINCE2 method is a bit similar in concept to reusable space launch systems. All or some components can be recovered and reused. Such an approach helps to shave mega-bucks and kilo-hours off space mission projects.
In the same vein, the use of PRINCE2 can lead to huge savings in project management, too.
PRINCE2® has not been INVENTED. It has been DISCOVERED. Based on the foundation of experience drawn from a great number of projects.
And over the past three decades thousands of organisations have adopted it.
- Small and medium-sized businesses.
- Multinational corporations.
- International organisations.
- Public services.
And all these thousands of entities run hundreds of thousands of PRINCE2 projects that employ millions.
Which means (DRUMROLL) they need PRINCE2®-qualified people to fill roles on their project management teams.
Gosh, what an amazing opportunity!
Is that a sufficient argument for queuing up to get PRINCE2® training, or what?
True, PRINCE2 training is not exactly cheap. But look at what you get in return.
- Transferable skills that can boost your market value.
- A globally recognised PRINCE2 Practitioner certification that vacancy notices define at least as an advantage. And often times, as a requisite.
- With the knowledge of best practice in project management comes a boost in on-the-job confidence and performance.
Paying for the PRINCE2 training is not spending money. It´s investing in yourself. With a prospect of earning a terrific return on investment.
Is it a smashing proposition, or what?
To help you glean what´s the foundation of PRINCE2 here are some of its salient features.
In a nutshell, PRINCE2® embraces the planning, delegating, directing, managing and control of all project aspects. The purpose is to produce the clearly defined and agreed project product that will realize expected benefits.
The seven PRINCE2 principles that form the basis of a PRINCE2 project include:
- Continued business justification.
- Learn from experience.
- Defined roles and responsibilities.
- Manage by stages.
- Manage by exception.
- Focus on products.
- Tailor to suit the project environment.
The tailoring principle is unique to PRINCE®2.
That´s what makes the method highly adaptable to specific organisational and project environments. Here are some benefits that tailoring brings.
- Ensures that the project management method and approach are fit for the project.
- Ensures that PRINCE2 project team configuration and project controls match project complexity, scale, importance, risk and team capability.
- Allows to avoid the extremes of mechanistic and heroic approaches to project management.
Another principle exclusive to PRINCE® focuses on management by exception.
It frees the senior management from the burden of chores involved in project management. But they keep holding the project´s helm firmly in their hands regardless.
The management by exception principle is implemented through the concept of tolerances. They provide the basis for –
- Delegation of authority from one level of management down to the next.
- And escalation of deviations that exceed the agreed tolerances in the opposite direction.
An absolute minimum of invested time that still ensures full control, is that the perfect deal, or what?
Anyway, that was your first taste of PRINCE2®. A trailer, of sorts.
The full cycle of PRINCE2 training including PRINCE2 Practitioner takes between four and five days.
PRINCE2 Virtual Instructor-Led Training format is a tad shorter. Candidates sit Foundation exam and Practitioner exam individually online AFTER completing their PRINCE2 training.
The PRINCE2 classroom or face-to-face course format includes candidates sitting paper-based Foundation Practitioner exams in a group DURING this course.
So, to sum it all up, what is the appeal of PRINCE2®?
- Provides the essentials for successfully delivering projects of any size and complexity.
- Applies to a wide range of industries and public services.
- Offers a step-by-step guidance on how to achieve successful realization of a business case that serves as project basis.
- Separates project management responsibilities from specialist product-related work.
- PRINCE2 Practitioner certification is respected globally. It aligns with internationally recognised quality standards related to project management.
We hope to meet you soon on one of our PRINCE2 project management courses!
And in the meantime, keep safe.